According to ESJF European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative, the cemetery was established around 1811 near the old cemetery, which had existed since the 18th century. In 1825, both the cemeteries were fenced, and a funeral house was built between the two plots. In 1831, an epidemic cemetery was established on a plot of land east of the new cemetery. In 1852, the cemetery was fenced with a wall. In the interwar period, further land purchases were made, including the epidemic section of the cemetery. The complex of the three cemeteries—old, new, and for the cholera epidemic – stretched over about 600 metres. In 1938, a road from Kielce to Warsaw was built between the old and the new cemetery, on Kościuszki Street.
During World War II, the cemetery was used for carrying out executions and for burying the Holocaust victims. After 1945, some individual burials took place in the cemetery. There is no detailed information about the devastation the cemetery suffered during the war. After the end of the war, the area was gradually built over. The part of the cemetery on Wschodnia Street was fenced and planted with trees. In 1967, a monument commemorating the victims of the Holocaust was erected in the cemetery. The undeveloped part of the cemetery stretches from Wschodnia Street towards the east, along Staszica Street. It is enclosed with a low wall and a fence made of iron bars. The ohel of the Rabinowicz tzaddikim, rebuilt in 2002, the foundations of the second ohel, the monument commemorating the victims of the Holocaust, and the epidemic quarters. The property is listed in the Register of Immovable Monuments.
The undeveloped part of the cemetery stretches from Wschodnia Street towards the east, along Staszica Street. It is enclosed with a concrete and metal fence (1.5-1.7 m high) in a good condition. Sections of the old masonry wall have also been preserved.
There are about 2,300 gravestones. There are 1,800 Standing and 200 lying intact tombstones and around 300 small fragments. Tombstones are richly decorated, and the Hebrew inscriptions are legible. A list of tombstones is available at: https://cemetery.jewish.org.pl/list/c_3