The rectangular red Parokhet comprises a main cloth enclosing a core. The cloth is framed by a white strip with an interlacing branch with thorns, leaves blue and red roses intermittently. The frame comprises four strips that overlap in the corners, creating four squares. It encloses a black square core at the top center bearing a Hebrew dedicatory inscription surmounted by a crown with an apex shaped like the Star of David. The crown is flanked by two stems. The inscription is written in square filled letters arranged in six lines, and reads:
"ק'ל'ה (קודש לה')/הפרכת הזאת הקדישה/הג" (הגברת) רבקה אלשיך ת"י (תחייה)/לע"ינ (לעילוי נשמת) בנה מאיר כהן נ"ע (נוחו עדן) הנ"פ (הנפטר)/בק"ציוש (בקצור ימים ושנים) כ"ד אדר ה'ת'ר'צ'ז'/ת'נ'צ'ב'ה (תהיה נשמתו צרורה בצרור החיים)"
Dedicated to the Lord, this Parokhet (was) dedicated by Mrs. Rebeca (Rivka) Alsheich may she live, for the exaltation of the soul of her son Meir Cohen, may he rest in Eden, passed away with days and years cut off, on the 24th in the month of Adar 5697 (7.3.1937). May his soul be bound up in the bond of life.
The core is framed by a golden strip with cut corners.
Twelve loops are attached to the top of the Parokhet.
Embroidery: cotton threads, in filled stitched embroidery
Additions: synthetic gold strip
Width: 145 cm
The carpet was brought from Lodz, Poland and was made in the workshop of Herman Sachs (1906). A dedicatory inscription was added in Jerusalem by the Sepahrdic community (1937).
The parokhet is a secondary use. It was probably exported from Poland as a rug, sold in the local market.