Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 10852
Sacred and Ritual Objects
  Torah mantle, Thessaloniki (Salonika), 1896

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Radovan, Zev, 1992
The trapezoid Torah mantle comprises a cloak attached to a round top, and has a vertical back opening. The central upper front is decorated with a crown flanked by the Hebrew initials: "The crown of Torah" (based on Avot 4:13). Below the crown is a wreath made up of two foliate branches bound by a ribbon, creating a roundel which encloses a dedicatory inscription.  A Hebrew dedication is inscribed in square, filled letters, which reads: "קדש לה'/ זאת נדבה אשר/ הפרישו מתרומת/ כספם היקר הר'/ יוסף משה חבי"ד (חכם בית דין)/ הי"ו (ה' ישמרהו ויחיהו) ובנו היקר/ מרדכי הי"ו (ה' ישמרהו ויחיהו) לכבוד/ אביו ישלם ה' פעלם (מבוסס על רות ב: יב)/ שנת 5656." "Dedicated to the Lord. This donation was made of the money contributed by the dear Rabbi Joseph Moses, Judge of the Rabbinic Court, may the Lord sustain and protect him. And of his dear son Mordechai, may the Lord sustain and protect him. (The donation was made) in honour of his father, may 'the Lord will recompense thy work (and a full reward be given thee of the Lord, under whose wings thou art come to trust.'; based on Ruth 2:12).The year 5656 (1896)."   A scrolling stem runs along the edges, while four bouquets of flowers are set on each corner and point to the centre (fig. 1). The round top has two openings for the Torah staves. A fringed strip surrounds the top and the bottom edges of the cloak. 

Online collection of the ritual objects from the E. Ringelblum Jewish Historical Institute is available here: http://cbj.jhi.pl/collections/964689

8 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
1896
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
A collection of ritual objects was confiscated from the Greek Jews when they were transported to Auschwitz during World War II. This Torah mantle was transferred to the museum in 1948 from Narożno, a city in Silesia where the Nazis stored the objects.
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.