The synagogue was built by a rich Hasid Yakob Glanzer and was the first oficial Hasidic synagogue in Lviv (on its establishment see Manekin, “Hasidism and the Habsburg Empire, 1788–1867,” Jewish History 27 (2013): 288–90). In 1912, the building was reconstructed according to the design of Włodzimierz Podhorodecki.
The synagogue was closed by the Soviet authorities in 1962.
In 1990, the former synagogue was transferred to the Society for Jewish Culture and from 1993 it belongs to the religious community.
Remains of the wall paintings were discovered in 2011.