Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 10405
Jewish Architecture
  Jewish orphanage with a synagogue in Drohobych, Ukraine

© Center for Jewish Art and PEU, Photographer: Unknown, 1988

The1913 Sobieski streetorphanage, by the architect Franciszek Jelonek, is an exceptionally well-designed institutional building.  The street facade features a central part, set slightly forward, flanked by two wings containing bedrooms and office space, which run deep into the lot.

            The entire building rests on a rubble basement, which counteracts the slight slope of the lot.  The next floor is smooth rustication, probably over a rubble base.  The upper two stories of the building are of brick with ashlar trim; quoins mark the corners of both the main part and the side wings.  A simple brick-work cornice caps the two side wings while the central part has a slightly more elaborate cornice, though also of brick.  The roofline of the central part rises slightly higher than that of the flanking wings, underscoring its importance.

            The central part is organized in three vertical bays: two identical bays flanking the central one.  Each flanking bay has a pair of windows: a light over a 2x2 in the rubble story, two round-headed windows in the rusticated story and again in the lower portion of the brick story and a large rosetted-window in the upper portion.  The center bay has a double door surmounted by a round-headed light in the lower portion, within an ashlar frame extending to just above the level of the brick stories.  Above the door frame is a large window composition, of two 2x2 windows surmounted by a round-headed transom and separated by a column.  Smaller quoins mark the edges.  An ashlar arch caps the entire window composition.

            The flanking wings, of one and a half bays, follows the same general organization as the central part: square windows in the rubble base, round-headed in the smoothly rusticated portion.  In the upper levels, however, the subsidiary positions of side pavilions is expressed through the fenestration.  Rather than fully round-headed windows, there are windows under flat arches.  The two upper stories of the wings are divided by an ashlar course.

            The interior organization of the building is relatively straightforward.  Behind the central part is a stair tower which gives access to the single-loaded corridors of the two flanking wings.

            Of particular note in the interior is the small synagogue located in the upper story of the central part, demarcated on the exterior by the large window of the upper stories.  Oriented east-west, with the woman’s gallery in the upper portion of the western end, the synagogue occupies the physical and spiritual center of the orphanage.

14 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Jewish orphanage with a synagogue in Drohobych | Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
1913
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Origin
Historical Origin
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Ukraine | L'vivs'ka obl. | Drohobych
| Lesi Ukrainky St.
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Brick
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Educational Institution
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
B (Fair)
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
2 (Regional)
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
CJA documentation; Jewish Cemeteries, Synagogues, and mass grave sites in Ukraine. United States Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad (Washington D.C., 2005); Sefer zikaron le-drohobits, borisov ve-ha-svivah, edited by N.M.Gelber (Tel Aviv, 1959), p. 92; Mścisław Mściwujewski, Królewskie wolne miasto Drohobycz (Lwów-Drohobycz, 1929), pp. 26-27 with ill.; Iosif Gel'ston, "Opis' pamiatnikov evreiskoi istorii i kul'tury v g. Drogobyche", Evreis'ka istoriia ta kul'tura v Ukraini, materialy konferentsii, Kyiv, 21-22 serpnia 1995 (Kyiv, 1996), p. 176
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.