Home
   Under Reconstruction!
Art Alone

Img. ID: 57862

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Khaimovich, Boris, 1994

The synagogue in Hornburg was built in the years 1762 - 1763. The buliding stopped functioning as a synagogue in 1882, as there were fewer than ten Jewish adults in Hornburg. The death of the last Jew in Hornburg was in 1923. In 1924, the synagogue’s interior (the Torah ark, bimah, women's gallery, benches, wooden plaques, interior dome, etc.) and ritual objects were transferred to the Vaterländische Museum (located in the Aegidien church) in Braunschweig. The pieces of the synagogue were on show in the museum until 1945 when it was moved to storage. The exhibition was reinstalled in 1976 when the new building of the museum was built.

According to a color drawing made in 1924, the vaulted ceiling of the Hornburg synagogue was painted with images of the Sanctuary. The Tabernacle (shown as a tent)was on the eastern side, the Ark of Covenant on the western side, the Temple Menorah on the southern side, and the Showbread table on the northern side. In its center of the synagogue ceiling there was an interior dome, painted blue. The dome is the only part of the ceiling that was preserved in the museum. On the lower rim of the dome there is a painted balustrade. The four painted posts of the baulstrade support four vases of flowers. 

///ID/31482/

///ID/7756/

///ID/31481/

///ID/51093/

Name/Title
Synagogue of Hornburg | Unknown
Object
Object Detail
Settings
Unknown
Date
1762-1763
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Unknown |
Congregation
Unknown
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material / Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Subject
Unknown |
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Shape / Form
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
Vladimir Levin | 2015
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
Carmen Echevarria | 2016
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
A040643