The double tiered Torah crown consists of a main section, a crest and an apex. The main section is comprised of a base and arms. The coronet like base is composed of a round band surmounted by six arches decorated with acanthus leaves on the edges. Biblical scenes and figures are depicted below each arch, starting in a clockwise order: The sacrifice of Isaac (9668), Jacob's dream (9669), Aaron, Moses (9670), David, Solomon (9671). C scrolls and leaves surround the figures and a basket of fruit and a bird are placed alternatly between them. Six arms radiate from the base, between the arches. Each arm is decorated with a foliate stem and they converge at the base of the crest. Birds and deer are attached to the meeting point of the arms and the crest. The canopy-like crest is decorated with vertical bands of alternating motifs. It terminates in a dome which is surmounted by a vase-shaped apex, of which one leaf still exists.
Torah crown | Unknown
Synagogue active dates
Documentation / Research project
Silver, gilded ##Structure: cut, hammered, cast## Decoration: cast##Bonding: screwed, nailed, soldered
Two deer and one bird are missing from the crest and the apex is partly broken.
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Languages of inscription
Type of grave
Number of Lines
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Summary and Remarks
A similar Torah crown inscribed with the date 1818 exists in the Jewish Museum in London. Cf. Gutman, Sanctuary, 1983, p.29, pl. XXVIIIb.
From the Odessa collection.
Main Surveys & Excavations
cf. Wien, Kunsthis. Mus., Thora (Ukraine), p.64, no.3.
| P.F. (M.T.) 7.1992
Museum of Historical Treasures of Ukraine