Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Art Alone
© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Radovan, Zev, 1992

The silver Torah shield is rectangular and terminates with a semi circular arch.The Tables of the Covenant are depicted in the centre, inscribed with the two opening words of the Ten commandments, five in each side. They are flanked by two cylindrical columns decorated with spiralling strips and rampant griffons,facing backwards, standing on rectangular columns and holding a crown decorated with flowers. The upper part consists of an inscription which continues on a plaque below the tablets. Inscribed in square filed letters it reads:

"ז"נ )זאת נדבת( ר' אברהם בר' )בן הרב( אבוגדר ]אביגדור[ מביאליי". "ל' תרכ"ד לפ"ק".

"This is the donation of Rabbi Abraham son of Rabbi Avigdor from Biali, the year 1864".

The lower part depicts a pair of human faced lions couchant, guardant with erected tails.

The Torah shield is framed by a line composed of small balls.

Name/Title
Torah shield | Unknown
Object
Object Detail
Date
1864
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community
Location
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period Detail
Material/Technique
Metal
Material Stucture
Cut
Material Decoration
repousse,punched
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
engraved
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
215mm
Length
Width
160 mm
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
HS : Four hallmarks are stamped on the shield lower border.
1. The hallmark depicts an anchor surmounted by a double headed eagle. It is a city hallmark of Odessa in 1880.## C.f. Postnikova-Losseva, p.235, no. 3142.
2.The hallmark depicts Cyrillic initials: "V.L" (Lat.) with the date 1863 under a line, framed by a cut angle rectangle. It is a assay's mark of Vasily Matveyvitch Lapshin, active in 1852-1863.
C.f. Postnikova-Losseva, p. 235, no. 3146.
3. The hallmark depicts the cypher: 84 in a cut angled frame. It is a Russian quality mark in 18th and 19th centuries.##C.f. Postnikova-Losseva, p. 148, no. 12-13.
4. The depicts an unclear Cyrillic initials, probably indicates the artist name
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
The city Bialiy (known today as Biala) was onse part of western Galicia and now is part of Poland.
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
The Odessa Collection.
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
C.f. Wien, Kunsthis. Mus., Thora (Ukraine), 1993, p.145, no. 43.
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
Ariella Amar (Y.P.) | 6.1992
Researcher
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.