The following description was prepared by William Gross:
The pointer used by the Torah reader to keep the place is known in European communities as the *yad, "hand," or the eẓba, "finger," and in Sephardi and Eastern communities as the moreh, "pointer," or kulmus, "quill," the former because of its function and the latter because of its shape. Halakhic sources also use the terms moreh or kulmus. The pointer was originally a narrow rod, tapered at the pointing end, usually with a hole at the other end through which a ring or chain could be passed to hang the pointer on the Torah scroll.
The original form of the pointer was preserved in Eastern communities, the differences from one community to another being mainly in length and ornamentation. In certain communities a hand with a pointing finger was added, and accordingly the pointer came to be known as a yad, "hand," or eẓba, "finger." Pointers are made for the most part of silver or silver-plated brass, but in a few European communities they used to be made of wood. In such cases the pointers were carved in the local folk-art style.
An exceptionally attractive Torah pointer, this silver Yad has a delicate hand with a red stone ring. The lower part is beautifully -twisted in contrast to the square upper section. An inscription, including the date and the donor, is engraved on the upper portion.Such large and elaborate Torah pointers are a rarity.
Inscription: This was donated by the wise Avraham, son of Rav y(Itzhak), of blessed memory, and his wife, the lady Gitel, daughter of Rav (Leib)(?), of blessed memory, in the year (5)562 [1801/2], according to the minor reckoning