Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Art Alone
© Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Carl von Ossietzky (SUB), Photographer: Unknown, -

The German inscription reads:

Das Buch Esther. Hebräische Handschrift des XVII Jahrhunderts.

Aus der Bibliothek des Fürsten Wassili Sergeewitsch Trubetzkoi in Znamenskoe (Provinz Moskau, Kreis Podolsk). Fürst W.S. Trubetzkoi, destorben am 11 Februar 1841, war General der Kavallerie, Mitglied des Russischen Reichsrathes, Ritter des St. Alexander Newsky Ordens und des St. Wladimir Ordens I-e Classe, was mit der Princessin Catharina Biron von Curland verheiratet. Er war Fremaurer. In seiner Jugend was er Kammerherr der Kaiserin Catherina II. Er hat an aller Kriegen gegen Napoleon in den Jahren 1805-1815 theilgenommen.

Der Sohn des Fürsten W.S.Trubetzkoi hat das gut Znamenskoe mit der Bibliothek circa 1862 an Geheimrath J.P.v. Schablykin verkauft, von dem 1882 S.v.Arzeniew. Kais. Russischer Minister-Resident in Hamburg, diese Handsschrift erhalten hat.

Translation:

The Book of Esther. Hebrew manuscript of the 17th century.

From the library of Prince Vasilii Sergeevich Trubetskoi in Znamenskoe (Moscow province, Podolsk district) [today Znamenskoye-Sadki]. Prince V.S. Trubetskoi, who died on 11 February 1841, was General of Cavallerie, a member of the Russian State Council, a Knight of the Orden of Alexander Nevsky and the Orden of St. Vladimir of the First Class; he married Princesse Catherine Biron of Courland. He was a Free mason. In his youth, he was a chamberlain of Catherine II [it is not truth, he was a chamberlain of Pavel I]. He participated in all the wars with Napoleon in 1805-1815.

A son of Prince S.V.Trubetskoi sold Znamenskoe with its library c. 1862 to privy councilor Ivan Shablykin, from whom Sergey Arseniev, the Russian Minister to Hamburg, received this manuscript in 1882.

Name/Title
SUB Chinoiserie Esther Scroll | Unknown
Object Detail
German inscription on the back side of the opening section
Date
18th century
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Unknown |
Congregation
Unknown
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material/Technique
Ink and paints on parchment
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
The scroll: 280x3720 mm.
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Subject
Unknown |
Condition
In general, the manuscript is preserved in good condition. Some parts of the decoration are erased or faded. The frames of the panels originally could be painted gold but now the color is invisible. The text is very well preserved.
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology

The scroll is formed of 7 sheets containing 28 columns of the text with 17 lines except for col. 23 with 11 lines divided into two parts. 

Each membrane contains 2 text panels with 4 columns of the text.

The text is inscribed in the Hebrew square Italian script, in black ink, on the flesh side of parchment membranes that is brighter than the blank side that is more yellow.

The letter ח (Es. 1:6) is highlighted by its form (it is formed of two elements joined with a roof) and size (it is larger than an average letter in the scroll). The letter ת is enlarged and bolded (Es. 9:29). Other enlarged and diminished letters are included in col. 23. 

The ruling is slightly visible, in some places only.

The membranes in the scroll are stitched.

Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon

None

Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks

A similar megillah stored in the Library of Congress, the African and Middle Eastern Division in Washington (no. 038.00.00) is described: https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/an-illuminated-megillah-judaic-treasures (accessed on 24.09.2020).

Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
The blank side of the opening part of the scroll, there is a German inscription saying about the previous owner of the manuscript - the Russian prince Vasily Sergeyevich Trubetskoy (d. 1841). The manuscript was given to the Library in 1906.
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography

Hans-Walter Stork, Falk Wiesemann, Codex hebraicus 345, [in:] Irina Wandrey ed., Manuscript Cultures, vol. 6, 249-252.

Images of the scroll are available on https://resolver.sub.uni-hamburg.de/kitodo/PPN895256576 (accessed on 24.09.2020).

Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
Dagmara Budzioch | 2020
Researcher
Dagmara Budzioch | 2020
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
M002084