Img. ID: 204427
The Great synagogue in Hârlău was established in 1826 and rebuilt in 1880, according to inscription near the entrance. (The date of the building is 1812 according to Streja A., and Schwarz L., The Synagogue in Romania, The Hasefer Publishing House, 2009, p. 54).
The synagogue is an elongated building decorated with pilasters. Twelve windows at the level of the upper floor give light to the main prayer hall. Women's gallery is located on the upper floor on the west side of the building and has a separate entrance from the west. The building has a high roof and elaborate entrance. The roof of the synagogue has a great take-out, which is typical to the Moldovan-Bukovina architecture. The western facade of the synagogue faces Decembrie St.
A plaque with a dedicatory inscription is placed in an aedicule above the main entrance on the southern facade. Another plaque with the date of construction given as 1815 is placed above the western entrance. This tablet probably was moved from another building. A third dedicatory plaque of 1935 with a Romanian inscription is placed above the second one.
The first dedicatory inscription:
נתקנה מחדש בשנת תר"מ
ועשו לי מקדש ושכנתי בתוכם
נתיסדה בשנת תקפו
The second dedicatory inscription:
ועשו לי מקדש ושכנתי בתוכם (שמות כה:ח)
Third dedicatory inscription:
Sura şi Beniamin
in memorie părinților lor
Freida şi Naftulie
Execul. sub supraveg. unchiul.
lor Mendel Landau
For the interior of the main prayer hall see:
For the vestibule see:
For the measured architectural drawings see: