Img. ID: 180530
On the eastern wall above the niche of the Torah ark are preserved murals consisting of two layers. Both layers of the murals preserved in fragments. The bottom layer of the murals shows the table of covenant decorated by architectural and floral decor. Under the table of covenant placed a large fragment of floral Renaissance ornament. The murals included an oval medallion with the name of the master (not preserved) and the date of manufacture. The date of the painting that specified in text - 1677, does not match the generally accepted date of construction of the synagogue after 1758.
The top layer of the painting, located on the plaster above the old layer, contains figures of two griffins, which flank the image of the Leviathan, depicted in the form of a fish biting its own tail, and framing the round window above the Torah ark. The space inside the round window is decorated in the shape of the starry sky. This part of the painting probably made in the early 20th century.
Inscription above the window:
דע לפני מי אתה עומד לפני מלך מלכי המלכים הקדוש ברוך הוא
Know before whom you stand (Talmud, Brachot 28b)
Inscription above the griffins:
סמוט [=סור מי רע ועשה טוב]
אטלס [=אך טוב לישראל סלה]
| Basztowa St.