Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Art Alone
© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Unknown,

The synagogue is covered with a shingled mansard roof. The log walls, without weather-boarding, were reinforced by vertical posts and metal bolts. The building was lit by segment head windows. Six of the windows looked into the prayer hall (two on each of its south-western, south-eastern, and north-eastern sides), two other smaller windows of similar shape looked into the women’s gallery on southwest and northeast. 

The women's gallery spanned the winter prayer room, vestibule, and the staircase, and jutted out into the prayer hall on its north-western side. The projection of the women’s gallery into the prayer hall was supported by two wooden Doric columns in the rear of the prayer hall. The whole interior space was spanned with a wooden cove dome, fitted into the roof construction. The dome and partition of the women’s gallery were painted in 1895 by an unknown local Jewish artist, who later emigrated to the United States (Lemchenas, “Pakruojo medinė sinagoga,” p. 101). 

The painted subjects included trees inhabited by birds and animals (such as stork bringing a worm for its nestlings, and a peacock), a deer, a lion inscribed with a verse,

"ארי שאג מי לא ירא"

(“The lion hath roared, who will not fear,” Amos 3:8, Fig. 11), an open Torah ark containing Torah scrolls and with two Torah scrolls attached to the top, a train arriving at a two-story building between two trees, a table with books, vases of flowers, and at the center of the dome there was a Leviathan, holding its tail in its jaws, circling a town house.

On the partition of the women’s gallery appeared animals mentioned in the Mishna Avot 5:20: “Be strong as the leopard, swift as the eagle, fleet as the gazelle, and brave as the lion to do the will of thy Father which is in heaven.” There is a fifth animal, a camel, painted next to the image of the lion.

Name/Title
3D computer reconstruction of the Wooden synagogue in Pakruojis | Unknown
Object Detail
3D computer model
Date
1801, 1895
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Unknown |
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
Sergey Kravtsov | 2004, 2006
Researcher
Sergey Kravtsov | 2006
Architectural Drawings
Sergey Kravtsov | 2006
Computer Reconstruction
Sergey Kravtsov | 2006
Section Head
|
Language Editor
Carmen Echevarria | 2016
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
A345126.jpg