Home
   Under Reconstruction!
Art Alone

Img. ID: 158432

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Ukrzakhidprojectrestavratsiia, 1998

The Jewish School of Belaia Tserkov, 42 Bogdana Khmel’nitskogo Street, is a typical Russian provincial bureaucratic structure of the late 19th century, built and decorated in brick.  The front portion of the building - the main facade and the side bays of the head structure - are strongly decorated, while the classroom portions extending back into the depth of the lot is only slightly architecturally inflected.

The main northwest facade, four bays wide with a central bay marked by the porte-cochere on the first floor and a more monumental decorative treatment on the upper story, contains in a cartouche the construction date of 1901.  It is capped by a stepped-gable emphasizing its importance and centrality.  The flanking bays are identical: on the first floor, a square-headed window with a sturdy hood molding.  It extends approximately halfway down the window where it joins a course running almost completely around the building.  There is a change in fenestration about a quarter the way along the classroom side facades.  On the head house, the bays are separated by smooth rustication - that of the lower floors being slightly smaller.  The upper floor bays comprise a round-headed window with decorative details emphasizing each bay.  Behind the head house, on the lower floors, the window style repeats while on the upper floor, square-headed windows are introduced.

The internal form is seemingly well preserved.  The upper floor of the head house contains what appears to have been the synagogue space of the school, though little evidence for it remains.  A single double-loaded corridor extends back through the building.  Two staircases, on the northern side of the building, approximately divide it in thirds.

///ID/20314/

///ID/16120/

///ID/19167/

Name/Title
Jewish school in Bila Tserkva | Unknown
Object Detail
With a prayer room
Settings
Unknown
Date
1901
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Historical Origin
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Ukraine | Kyivs'ka obl. | Bila Tserkva (Біла Церква)
| 42 Bohdana Khmel'nyts'koho St.
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material / Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Subject
Unknown |
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Shape / Form
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
A155699