The Great synagogue in Hârlău was built in 1826 and was renovated in 1880, according to inscription near the entrance. (The date of the building is 1812 according to Streja A., and Schwarz L., The Synagogue in Romania, The Hasefer Publishing House, 2009, p. 54).
The synagogue is an elongated building decorated with pilasters. Twelve windows, raised to the level of the second floor, illuminated the main prayer hall. Women's gallery is located on the second floor on the west side of the building, which conducts its own entrance. The building has a high curved roof and elaborate entrance. The roof of the synagogue has a great take-out, which is typical to the Moldovan-Bukovina architecture. The western facade of the synagogue goes out to the street Decembrie 30. The tablet with dedicatory inscription placed in an aedicule above the main entrance. Another tablet with the date of construction, placed on the west entrance. This tablet probably is moved from another building.
The first dedicatory inscription
נתקנה מחדש בשנת
ועשו לי מקדש ושכנתי בתוכם תרם
נתיסדה בשנת תקפו
The second dedicatory inscription:
ועשו לי מקדש ושכנתי בתוכם (שמות כה:ח )
For the interior of the main prayer hall see:
For the measured architectural drawings see: