The drawing represents a string of five carts with grain sacks. They move one after another from the central right part to the lower left corner. Two oxes are harnessed in each cart. On the front cart there are three musitians. The first one depicted in profile is playing a pipe, the other two sitting en face on the upper sacks play violin and flute. To the poles of the high boards of the carts the flags are attached. They bear an inscription: "Communa di Froinshaft" (Commune of Friendship) made with Russian block letters. To the right on the foreground there is a group of children walking holding each others hands. The figures of other people sitting on the distant carts are visible. In the center, under the group of children the number: 732-23 is written with Indian ink.
Akselrod, Illustration for "The Children of Jewish Commune" by L.Neiman | Unknown
Synagogue active dates
Akselrod, Meir (painter)
Documentation / Research project
The drawing is made with pen hatches of Indian ink with later additions of white gouache on thick white paper.
The upper left corner is lost.
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Languages of inscription
Type of grave
Number of Lines
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Signature in LR. M.Akselrod in Russian cursive letters. Pencil.
Summary and Remarks
The book by Lina Neiman "The Children of Jewish Commune" was published in OGIZ press in 1931. It tells about children, who lived in jewish agricultural communes in Crimea. L.Neiman (1900s) is a Moscow writer, poetess and translator, writes in Russian. In 1932 this drawing was used by Akselrod as a study for a large painting "The Red Transport" (Museum of Fine Arts of Zaporozhie). In the basis of this drawing there are sketches made by the artist during his visits to the Jewish Agricultural Commune "Voyo-Novo" (New Way) in Crimea in 1930-1931.
1991 brought to Israel.
Main Surveys & Excavations
| M.Y. 6.1994
Author of description