Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
7 image(s)
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 7755
Synagogue of Hornburg, .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Subject
Unknown |
Date
1762 - 1763
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Community
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Gerd Biegel (ed.), Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum, Abteilung Jüdisches Museum (Braunschweig, 1993), pp. 3-6.
Katrin Kessler, "Hornburg. Synagoge Dammstrasse," in Aliza Cohen-Mushlin and Harmen Thies (eds.), Synagogenarchitektur in Deutschland: Dokumentation zur Ausstellung "… und ich wurde ihnen zu einem kleinen Heiligtum … " - Synagogen in Deutschland (Petersberg, 2008), pp. 133-135.
Unknown
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Photograph Date
1994
Negative/ Photo. No.
Germany-1994-II
Documenter
|
Researcher
Vladimir Levin | 2015
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
Carmen Echevarria | 2016
Donor
|
Description

The synagogue in Hornburg was built in the years 1762 - 1763. The buliding stopped functioning as a synagogue in 1882, as there were fewer than ten Jewish adults in Hornburg. The death of the last Jew in Hornburg was in 1923. In 1924, the synagogue’s interior (the Torah ark, bimah, women's gallery, benches, wooden plaques, interior dome, etc.) and ritual objects were transferred to the Vaterländische Museum (located in the Aegidien church) in Braunschweig. The pieces of the synagogue were on show in the museum until 1945 when it was moved to storage. The exhibition was reinstalled in 1976 when the new building of the museum was built.

According to a color drawing made in 1924, the vaulted ceiling of the Hornburg synagogue was painted with images of the Sanctuary. The Tabernacle (shown as a tent)was on the eastern side, the Ark of Covenant on the western side, the Temple Menorah on the southern side, and the Showbread table on the northern side. In its center of the synagogue ceiling there was an interior dome, painted blue. The dome is the only part of the ceiling that was preserved in the museum. On the lower rim of the dome there is a painted balustrade. The four painted posts of the baulstrade support four vases of flowers.