Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
3 image(s)
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 7746
Communal Synagogue in Halberstadt, Remains of the 1879 addition.
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Remains of the 1879 addition
Subject
Unknown |
Date
1709 - 1712, 1879
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Community
Location
Germany | Sachsen-Anhalt | Halberstadt
| Bakenstraße 56
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Archaeological excavations were undertaken in 2000.
Condition
Only a part of a wall of the 1879 addition is preserved
Biography
Bibliography
Aliza Cohen-Mushlin and Harmen Thies (eds.), Synagogenarchitektur in Deutschland vom Barock zum 'Neuen Bauen' (Braunschweig, 2000), pp. 48-49
Katrin Keßler, "Architektur und Ritus der Synagoge," in: Judentum: Wege zur geistigen Befreiung. Materialen der Dessauer Herbstseminare 2000 und 2001 zur Geschichte der Juden in Deutschland (Dessau, 2002), pp. 44-58.
Keßler, Katrin, Ritus und Raum der Synagoge (Petersberg, 2007).
Aliza Cohen-Mushlin and Harmen Thies (eds.), Synagogenarchitektur in Deutschland: Dokumentation zur Ausstellung "… und ich wurde ihnen zu einem kleinen Heiligtum … " - Synagogen in Deutschland (Petersberg, 2008), pp. 123-8.
Unknown
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Photograph Date
2001
Negative/ Photo. No.
Germany-2001-XIII
Documenter
|
Researcher
Katrin Kessler, Vladimir Levin, Samuel D. Albert |
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
Carmen Echevarria | 2016
Donor
|
Description

The Communal (Gemeinde) synagogue in Halberstadt was erected in the years 1709 - 1712, and destroyed in 1938. Only one wall from the 1879 addition has been preserved.

The building was a massive square structure built with the light-yellowish-grey stone that was generally used in this region for public buildings. The exterior was almost completely undecorated. Each of the four exterior walls had two pairs of windows that were visually unified by an arch.  Centered on the west wall was the main entrance. The location of the Torah ark was indicated on the exterior of the eastern wall by a protrusion with a sloped-roof. The building was capped by an imposing mansard roof, a reference to the regional baroque tradition.

Significant additions were made to the structure in 1879 by architects Ebe and Bende from Berlin. An infill structure containing separate entrance halls for men and women were added as well as a new exterior staircase to the women’s gallery. This filled the space between the original 18th century synagogue structure and the row of houses that had screened it from the street.  

According to the plans drawn for the reconstruction of 1879, the northern side of the vault was decorated with a depiction of the showbread table in the Temple of Jerusalem. The southern side had a depiction of the Temple menorah. The interior cupola in the center of the vault was painted with palm trees.