Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
3 image(s)
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 3354
Rebbe's Kloyz in Buhuşi, .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Subject
Unknown |
Date
1859-1869, renovated 1980s
Artist/ Maker
Community
Location
Romania | Moldavia | Buhuşi (Bohosh)
| Alexandru Ioan Cuza St.
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Aristide Streja and Lucian Schwarz, Sinagogi din România (Bucarest, 1996) = Synagogues of Romania ([Bucarest]: Hasefer Publishing House, 1997) p. 81, ills 61-62
Unknown
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Original Object
Photographer
Photograph Date
2012
Negative/ Photo. No.
Documenter
Boris Khaimovich | 2012
Researcher
Boris Khaimovich | 2014
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Description

The kloyz was apparently built after the establishment of the court of Rabbi Itzhak Friedmann (1834-1896), a grandson of Rabbi Israel of Ruzhin, in Buhuşi (Bohosh) in 1866 (Streja A., and Schwarz L., The Synagogue in Romania, The Hasefer Publishing House, 2009, p. 81б give a wrong date, 1840). The kloyz was built in the Neo-Baroque style as a small palace with the main entrance and the stairs from the courtyard. Four large semi-circular window decorated with architraves and keystones are located on each of the three facades of the building (except the western one). The building is decorated by rusticated decor, pilasters, and multilevel cornice. A semicircular niche flanked by pilasters marks the place of the Torah ark.

The building was renovated in the 1980s, its prayer hall was completely repainted.