Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
4 image(s)
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 3320
Synagogue in Dolní Kounice, .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Subject
Unknown |
Date
1652-1656
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Community
Location
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Jroslav Klenovský, Židovské památky Moravy a Slezska, (Era Pubkisher, 2001), p. 87-89
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Photograph Date
2014
Negative/ Photo. No.
Documenter
Boris Khaimovich |
Researcher
Boris Khaimovich |
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
Carmen Echevarria | 2016
Donor
|
Description

The synagogue was built during 1652 - 1656 and expanded in 1851 (according to the Jroslav Klenovský. (Židovské památky Moravy a Slezska, p. 87.). The building is located in the town square, in the heart of the former Jewish district. It is a massive Baroque-style structure with the walls dissected by flat pilasters. The southern facade shows the general structure of the building. Two semi-circular windows, raised high above the ground, illuminate the prayer hall. Two small windows on the second level illuminate the women's section. A Renaissance-style portal leads into the vestibule. A small semi-circular window on the eastern facade marks the place of the Torah ark. The second floor of the northern part of the building, which is the women's gallery, was completed in the 1831. The synagogue was later reconstructed in 1994. 

For the decoration of the main prayer hall see:

For text panels of the main prayer hall see:

For the women's section see: