Home
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 31051
Jewish Architecture
  Wooden synagogue in Nazna (Náznánfalva), Romania

© Hungarian Jewish Museum and Archives, Photographer: Ritter, Doron, 2016

This is the only part of the ceiling of the wooden synagogue in Náznánfalva, that was donated to the Hungarian Jewish Museum by the Marosvásárhely (Târgu Mureș) Jewish Community in 1941.

The depiction of the Tablets of the Law is filled with the prayer said during the taking of the Torah scrolls from the Torah ark (right) and with the prayer said during the return of the scroll to the ark.

A dove is depicted above the right Tablet. Branches are depicted under the text.

The object unterwent a restoration by Levente Kovacs and Edit Ördög in 2016. 

The following text is provided by the Hungarian Jewish Museum and Archives:

"In the 18th century, Náznánfalva was the second largest Jewish community in Transylvania after Gyulafehérvár (today Alba Iulia, Romania). Jews were not allowed to settle in Marosvásárhely – just as in other royal cities, so they settled on the outskirts of the city, on land in Náznánfalva belonging to the Barcsay family, where they erected a wooden synagogue for themselves in 1747. From the outside, the synagogue looked like a simple shed, but on its walls from the inside there were painted prayer texts. Already in 1910 there was a letter that called the attention of the newly founded Jewish Musem to this wooden synagogue, which was unique in Hungary. Eventually, the museum could acquire a piece of the painted wooden ceiling of the synagogue in 1941, when the territory of Náznánfalva, which had been annexed to Romania after the Trianon peace treaty in 1920, was returned for a time to Hungary by the Vienna Agreement." 

0 image(s)

This set has no children

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Wooden synagogue in Nazna (Náznánfalva) | Unknown
Object Detail
Date
1747
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Historical Origin
Community
Congregation
Unknown
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Iconographical Subject
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
1
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Researcher
Ekaterina Sosenskaia | 2018
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.