Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
0 image(s)
This set has no children
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 22463
Gutman and Kirzner’s Kloyz (Habad Lubavich Hasidim Kloyz) in Vilna (Vilnius), .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Subject
Unknown |
Date
Between 1904-1915
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Lithuania | Vilnius County | Vilnius (Vilna, Wilno)
| 9 Gospital’naia (Ligoninės) Street
Community
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Vladimir Levin, “Synagogues, Batei Midrash and Kloyzn in Vilnius,” in Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, ed. Aliza Cohen-Mushlin et al., vol. 2 (Vilnius: Vilnius Academy of Arts Press, 2012), p. 317.
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Unknown
Photograph Date
Negative/ Photo. No.
Documenter
|
Researcher
Vladimir Levin | 2016
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Description

Gutman and Kirzner’s Kloyz – Habad Lubavich Hasidim Kloyz at 9 Gospital’naia (Ligoninės) Street.
A spacious kloyz with a women’s section on Gospital’naia Street was established by the couple Mr. Gutman and Mrs. Ḥayah Kirzner between 1904 and 1915. In 1916 there were 40–50 worshippers and the founders continued to cover the deficit of the kloyz’s budget. According to Yaffe, the founder transferred the kloyz to the Lubavich Hasidim before his death in ca. 1918. Apparently the worshippers of the Second Minyan of the Lubavich Hasidim moved to this kloyz. Its interior was decorated with paintings of Biblical scenes. After the establishment of the ghetto on September 6, 1941, a clinic was installed in the kloyz.

From Vladimir Levin, “Synagogues, Batei Midrash and Kloyzn in Vilnius,” in Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, ed. Aliza Cohen-Mushlin et al., vol. 2 (Vilnius: Vilnius Academy of Arts Press, 2012), p. 317.