Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
0 image(s)
This set has no children
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 22462
Leib Leizers’ Kloyz in Vilna (Vilnius), .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Subject
Unknown |
Date
1776, 19??
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Lithuania | Vilnius County | Vilnius (Vilna, Wilno)
| 8 Żydowska (today Žydų) Street, Leib Leizers’ cour
Community
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Vladimir Levin, “Synagogues, Batei Midrash and Kloyzn in Vilnius,” in Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, ed. Aliza Cohen-Mushlin et al., vol. 2 (Vilnius: Vilnius Academy of Arts Press, 2012), p. 304.
Unknown
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Unknown
Photograph Date
Negative/ Photo. No.
Documenter
|
Researcher
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Description

Leib Leizers’ Kloyz at former 8 Żydowska (today Žydų) Street, Leib Leizers’ courtyard.
The house bordering with the shulhoyf was bought in 1759 by Arie Leib son of Eliezer (d. 1783). The kloyz which he founded there is mentioned in 1776; the Mishnah Society was established in this kloyz in 1785. In the 20th century mostly members of families, who once lived in the courtyard, prayed there.128 A special custom in this kloyz was to lit a candle with a wick made of 345 threads on the yor-tsayt of Moses (345 is the numerical value of his name). In 1916 there were 40 regular worshippers and two Talmudic scholars on a grant; the kloyz possessed six apartments in the same building, the rent of which provided means for its existence.

The kloyz was situated on the first floor in the northwestern wing of the building. It was entered from the courtyard through a portal with a semicircular gable and carved doors, probably made in the second half of the 19th century. According to Yaffe, it was a “medium size” kloyz without a women’s section, with a “beautifully painted” interior. Moshe Vorobeichic (1904–95) has apparently captured this interior in his photograph.

By 1942 the kloyz was “heavily damaged.” After WWII the entire building was razed.

From Vladimir Levin, “Synagogues, Batei Midrash and Kloyzn in Vilnius,” in Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, ed. Aliza Cohen-Mushlin et al., vol. 2 (Vilnius: Vilnius Academy of Arts Press, 2012), p.  304.