Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
0 image(s)
This set has no children
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 22461
Painters’ (Malarske) Kloyz in Vilna (Vilnius), .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Date
1862? 1930s (paintings)
Artist/ Maker
Community
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Vladimir Levin, “Synagogues, Batei Midrash and Kloyzn in Vilnius,” in Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, ed. Aliza Cohen-Mushlin et al., vol. 2 (Vilnius: Vilnius Academy of Arts Press, 2012), p. 302.
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Unknown
Photograph Date
Before 1941
Negative/ Photo. No.
Documenter
|
Researcher
Vladimir Levin | 2016
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Description

A painters’ guild existed in 1840 and its kloyz was mentioned in 1862. It was situated in the premises donated by Yosef Karpinsky (d. 1882?). In 1916 the congregation numbered only 38 persons and the board of the kloyz complained a year later: “the worshippers of the kloyz are not here, some left [for Russia] and some died.” In 1933 the number of worshippers reached 50. The kloyz had a wide window and a lantern; its interior, according to Yaffe, was decorated with “beautiful” oil paintings “of Biblical motifs” made by the Jewish painter Zinnmann.

There was a women’s section, and the kloyz possessed also a room near the prayer hall which was let to the board of the Great Synagogue in the 1910s. Chaim Grade described the kloyz in The Agunah: “The walls of the prayer hall were decorated with murals based on Torah scenes: Noah’s Ark floating on the water; Abraham binding Isaac, Lot’s wife turning into a pillar of salt."

Avrom Karpinovich described the depiction of the Western Wall near the Torah ark in his story “Di gzeyre” (The punishment).

By 1942 the kloyz was “seriously damaged.”

(From Vladimir Levin, “Synagogues, Batei Midrash and Kloyzn in Vilnius,” in Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, ed. Aliza Cohen-Mushlin et al., vol. 2 (Vilnius: Vilnius Academy of Arts Press, 2012), p.  302.)

(Photo: The Painters’ Kloyz on the right and the communal lavatories on the left. Photo, before 1941. After Ran, Jerusalem of Lithuania, vol. 1, p. 105)