Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
0 image(s)
This set has no children
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 22459
Old Kloyz in Vilna (Vilnius), .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Subject
Unknown |
Date
16??, 18??, 1930s (renovation and paintings)
Artist/ Maker
Community
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Vladimir Levin, “Synagogues, Batei Midrash and Kloyzn in Vilnius,” in Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, ed. Aliza Cohen-Mushlin et al., vol. 2 (Vilnius: Vilnius Academy of Arts Press, 2012), pp. 293-294.
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Unknown
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Unknown
Photograph Date
Before 1938
Negative/ Photo. No.
Documenter
|
Researcher
Vladimir Levin | 2016
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Description

Tradition has it that the kloyz was established in 1440, but this seems exaggerated. It was probably built in the late 17th or early 18th century. The Old Kloyz was heavily damaged by the fires of 1737, 1747 and 1748.59 According to the historian of Jewish Vilnius Israel Klausner (1905–77), “the Torah ark is beautiful in its simplicity, a simple and beautiful geometric ornament [decorates] its copper doors.”

The groined vaults of the prayer hall were supported by two Tuscan columns standing on the transverse axis; the bimah was placed between them. The entrance to the kloyz was situated in the annex at the corner of the Great Synagogue and the kloyz. In 1916 there were 27 regular worshippers in the kloyz, and five Talmudic scholars received a monthly stipend for learning there. The kloyz owned two rooms on the ground floor of the building and seven small rooms on the upper floor, and had gas lighting. The small number of worshippers in the kloyz in the 1920s and 1930s is the subject of Chaim Grade’s story Zeydes un eyniklekh (Grandparents and grandchildren).

The inscription from the 1930s above the entrance door read: בית המדרש ישן / נתיסד בשנת ר (The old beit midrash, established in 1440). The arched passages under the kloyz, leading to the second courtyard of the shulhoyf were opened at the beginning of the 19th century, and the building was rebuilt in 1838 and renovated in 1891. During the renovation of the 1930s, the prayer hall was painted by the Jewish artist Zinnmann. There was also a women’s section in the kloyz.

The shtibl of the Lubavich Hasidim was situated from the 1810s in the upper floor of the building; but from 1908 it was used by the Tiferet Baḥurim Kloyz.

(From Vladimir Levin, “Synagogues, Batei Midrash and Kloyzn in Vilnius,” inSynagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, ed. Aliza Cohen-Mushlin et al., vol. 2 (Vilnius: Vilnius Academy of Arts Press, 2012), pp. 293-294).

(Photo, before 1938, from the collection of the S. An-sky Ethnographical Museum in Vilnius. After Klausner, Toldot ha-kehilah, fig. facing p. 102 and Shik, 1000 yor vilne, p. 208)