Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
0 image(s)
This set has no children
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 22458
Gamarski’s Kloyz in Vilna (Vilnius), .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Subject
Date
1860?
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Lithuania | Vilnius County | Vilnius (Vilna, Wilno)
| 104 Kal’variiskaia (today Kalvarijų) Street
Community
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Vladimir Levin, “Synagogues, Batei Midrash and Kloyzn in Vilnius,” in Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, ed. Aliza Cohen-Mushlin et al., vol. 2 (Vilnius: Vilnius Academy of Arts Press, 2012), p. 334
Unknown
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Unknown
Photograph Date
Negative/ Photo. No.
Documenter
|
Researcher
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Description

The kloyz was built by Simon and Hadassah Gamarski ca. 1860; at the turn of the 20th century its gabbai was Leib Gamarski. A large group of Torah students (among them historian Ben-Zion Dinur) were accommodated in the kloyz and received assistance from the congregation. There were 90 regular worshippers in 1916 and 109 in 1935; the kloyz owned the premises on the ground floor of the building.

According to the description by Avraham Nisan Yaffe in 1941/42, “the kloyz is high and spacious and has a women’s section. It is beautifully painted; all music instruments mentioned in the Hallelujah chapter [Ps. 150] are deppicted on one of the walls.” By 1942 the Torah ark was still preserved there.

(From Vladimir Levin, “Synagogues, Batei Midrash and Kloyzn in Vilnius,” inSynagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, ed. Aliza Cohen-Mushlin et al., vol. 2 (Vilnius: Vilnius Academy of Arts Press, 2012), p. 334).