Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
0 image(s)
This set has no children
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 22343
Opatov’s Synagogue (Kloyz) in Vilna (Vilnius), .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Date
ca. 1850
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Lithuania | Vilnius County | Vilnius (Vilna, Wilno)
| corner of former 21 Vilenskaia (today Vilniaus) St
Community
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period Detail
Collection
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Vladimir Levin, “Synagogues, Batei Midrash and Kloyzn in Vilnius,” in Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, ed. Aliza Cohen-Mushlin et al., vol. 2 (Vilnius: Vilnius Academy of Arts Press, 2012), pp. 312-313.
Unknown
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Unknown
Photograph Date
1908
Negative/ Photo. No.
Documenter
|
Researcher
Vladimir Levin | 2016
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Description

The synagogue was built by a rich merchant and philanthropist Yehudah Opatov (1797–1868) ca. 1850. It was situated in a three-storey courtyard wing and included a synagogue and separate room for studying Torah. In 1908 the synagogue and the entire building were bought by the Lubavich Hasidim for 42,000 rubles; a Lubavich Yeshiva was established there soon afterwards. In 1912 the shops belonging to the synagogue were remodelled according to a design by Antoni Filipowicz-Dubowik. In 1916 there were 79 regular worshippers and 5 Talmudic students received monthly stipends; in the 1930s the number of worshippers reached 80–90.

According to the description by Avraham Nisan Yaffe in 1941/42, “the synagogue is high and spacious, richly decorated, with a carved Torah ark. The vault is covered with magnificent wall paintings, depicting musical instruments such as drums, flutes, harps, violins, mandolins etc. One of the main entrances to the synagogue is very wide, with a heavy iron door. The main wall of the women’s section has a beautiful wall painting, showing the Tomb of Rachel. On the right side of the synagogue there is a small prayer room with a Torah ark and a bimah."

As could be seen on the preserved drawing, the main prayer hall of the synagogue, devoid of interior supports, was spanned with a cloister vault, and lit, beside the windows, by a lantern.

After WW II the building was razed.

(From Vladimir Levin, “Synagogues, Batei Midrash and Kloyzn in Vilnius,” in Synagogues in Lithuania. A Catalogue, ed. Aliza Cohen-Mushlin et al., vol. 2 (Vilnius: Vilnius Academy of Arts Press, 2012), pp. 312-313).