Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
5 image(s)
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 2225
Great Synagogue in Hârlău, .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Subject
Unknown |
Date
1826, 1880
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Community
Location
Romania | Moldavia | Hârlău
| 5 Musatinilor (30 Decembrie) St.
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Streja A., and Schwarz L., The Synagogue in Romania, (The Hasefer Publishing House), 2009
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Photograph Date
2014
Negative/ Photo. No.
Documenter
Boris Khaimovich |
Researcher
Boris Khaimovich |
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Description

The Great synagogue in Hârlău was established in 1826 and rebuilt in 1880, according to inscription near the entrance. (The date of the building is 1812 according to Streja A., and Schwarz L., The Synagogue in Romania, The Hasefer Publishing House, 2009, p. 54).

The synagogue is an elongated building decorated with pilasters. Twelve windows at the level of the upper floor give light to the main prayer hall. Women's gallery is located on the upper floor on the west side of the building and has a separate entrance from the west. The building has a high roof and elaborate entrance. The roof of the synagogue has a great take-out, which is typical to the Moldovan-Bukovina architecture. The western facade of the synagogue faces Decembrie St.

A plaque with a dedicatory inscription is placed in an aedicule above the main entrance on the southern facade. Another plaque with the date of construction given as 1815 is placed above the western entrance. This tablet probably was moved from another building. A third dedicatory plaque of 1935 with a Romanian inscription is placed above the second one.

The first dedicatory inscription:

נתקנה מחדש בשנת תר"מ

ועשו לי מקדש ושכנתי בתוכם

נתיסדה בשנת תקפו

The second dedicatory inscription:

תקעה

ועשו לי מקדש ושכנתי בתוכם (שמות כה:ח)

Third dedicatory inscription:

Donatiune a

Sura şi Beniamin

Strulivici

Focşani

in memorie părinților lor

Freida şi Naftulie

Grimberg 1935

Execul. sub supraveg. unchiul.

lor Mendel Landau