Khaimovitch, Boris, "Jewish Monuments of Romania," Le patrimoine juif européen, ed. Max Polonovski (Paris: Peeters, 2002), p. 156.
The Great Synagogue (Hoykhe Shul) was built in 1834 [see: A. Streja and L. Schwarz, The Synagogue in Romania, 2nd. ed. (Bucharest: Hasefer, 2009), p. 142]. The synagogue consists of an elongated building decorated with pilasters. Twelve windows, set at the level of the (partial) upper floor, serve to illuminate the rectangular main prayer hall. The women's section has a separate entrance and is located on the upper floor of the prayer hall on the west side. The lower (main) floor of the prayer hall is sunken below ground level. The synagogue (now called Sinagoga Mare) is surrounded by modern buildings at 1 Strada Marchian (18 Muzicanti).
The Great Synagogue in Botoșani includes three spaces containing wall and ceiling paintings: the main prayer hall, the women's gallery, and the heated small prayer hall.