Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
0 image(s)
This set has no children
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 2193
Synagogue in Boskovice-Interior, Interior.
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Interior
Subject
Unknown |
Date
1640, 1695, 1705, 1769
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Community
Location
Czech Republic | Moravia | Boskovice
| Traplova St.
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Unknown
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Photograph Date
2014
Negative/ Photo. No.
Documenter
Khaimovich |
Researcher
Khaimovich |
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
Carmen Echevarria | 2016
Donor
|
Description

The murals cover the walls and vaults of the central prayer hall (10 m x 8 m), the side aisles, northern and western parts of the women's gallery and vestibule. The murals on the walls of all the rooms have been preserved in fragments. All the murals were restored after World War II, in 1963, and from 1979 to 1986 when the synagogue was converted into a museum.

The murals are shaped as a carpet's floral ornament and cover the entire surface of the vaults and walls. The composition of the decorations included complicated geometrical frames, panels with the text of prayers and psalms, the image of the temple implements, and birds.

The murals of the prayer hall, the side aisle, the women's galleries, and the vestibule were created at different times and by different masters. Due to the fact that many of the inscriptions were preserved in fragments and restored at some point, the dates that they were painted may vary from the time of their original creation. However, other historical sources suggest that the originals and restorations can be dated within a decade of each other.

The various signatures of artists and donors can be divided into three stages of synagogue decoration.

The first stage refers to the year 1640. This date is posted on the ceiling of the central prayer hall. The murals of this stage were made by two artists: Mordechai son ... from Cracow and Meir Yehuda Leib from Zȕlz.

The second stage of the murals relates to the year 1695. These murals in the women's gallery were painted by artist Isaiah Maler, son of Rabbi Yehuda [Leib?] from Cracow.

The third stage of the murals refers to the year 1769. These murals on the side aisle were created by Anshel, son of Rabbi Meir.

There are also some inscriptions in the women’s gallery and in the vestibule from the years between 1705 – 1720.