Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
4 image(s)
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 2192
Synagogue in Boskovice, .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Subject
Unknown |
Date
1639, 1698, 1836, 1936
Artist/ Maker
Community
Location
Czech Republic | Moravia | Boskovice
| Traplova St.
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
http://10hvezd.cz/en/object/boskovice/
Olga Sixtová, Daniel Polakovič, Arno Pařík, Boskovice Synagogue: Guide (Prague, 2002)
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Photograph Date
2014
Negative/ Photo. No.
Documenter
Khaimovich |
Researcher
Khaimovich |
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
Carmen Echevarria | 2016
Donor
|
Description

The synagogue was built in 1639 by the building contractor Sylvester Fiota (according to O. Sixtová, D.Polakovič, A. Pařik, Boskovice synagogue, guide, (The Jewish Museum in Prague, 2002)).  The synagogue is located in the heart of the Jewish quarter and the southern facade faces the street. The southern facade reflects the nature of the internal structure of the synagogue. Three lanceolate windows look into the prayer hall (10 m x 8 m) and the main entrance leads into the lobby. The windows on the second floor above the entrance look into the women’s gallery, which is located on the western side of the building. The round window on the eastern facade marks the location of the Torah ark.

A barrel-vaulted vestibule contains the main entrance. The upper floor contains women’s gallery (4 m x 8 m), which was built on the west side of the hall.

The old mikveh, which probably dates back to the time of settlement of the community, is located near the synagogue.

The modern building is the result of several stages of construction and reconstruction. The synagogue was built in 1639, and an annex was added in 1698. The reconstructions of the building were carried out in 1836, 1935, 1963, and from 1979 to 1986. (O. Sixtová, D.Polakovič, A. Pařik, Boskovice synagogue, guide, p. 59-61)

For the interior decoration see: