Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
1 image(s)
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 11003
Habad Synagogue (former Glaziers synagogue) in Chişinău, .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Subject
Unknown |
Date
1910
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Moldova | Chişinău (Kishinev)
| 8 Iakimanka St.
Community
Location
Moldova | Chişinău (Kishinev)
| 8 Habad Liubavitci St.
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Efim Goldshmidt, Igor Teper, Michael Finckel, History in Stone: Monuments of the Jewish Material Culture in Moldova (XVII-XXI centuries) (Chisinau, 2007), p. 30, 89;
http://www.jcm.md/ru/organizations/synagogue;
Altshuler, Mordechai. Yahadut ba-makhbesh ha-sovyeti: bein dat le-zahut yehudit be-vrit ha-mo’atsot, 1941–1964. Jerusalem, 2008
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Original Object
Photographer
Photograph Date
2014
Negative/ Photo. No.
digital
Documenter
|
Researcher
Vladimir Levin | 2016
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
Carmen Echevarria | 2016
Donor
|
Description

The synagogue may have been built in 1888 or 1898 (http://www.jcm.md/ru/organizations/synagogue). According to another publication, it was erected by bookbinders and glaziers in 1910 (Goldshmidt et al., p. 89).

After WWII, it remained the only active synagogue in the city. In 1953 the synagogue was closed by Soviet authorities (Altshuler, p. 474), but was later reopened.

According to the style of the paintings on the ceiling of the prayer hall, the synagogue was renovated in the late 1940s to 1950s.

A new renovation began c. 2010 (we thank Prof. Eugene Kotlyar, who saw the paintings in 2008). This renovation completely changed the prayer hall ceiling and disposed of the original paintings. However, the original slender metal columns in the prayer hall remain.