Hebrew University  
A Catalogue of Wall Paintings in Central and East European Synagogues
  CJA
0 image(s)
This set has no children
Object Alone
(XI* Edit) Obj. ID: 10795
Yakob Glanzer (Hadushim) Synagogue in Lviv, .
Hierarchical List of Objects:
Object Detail
Subject
Unknown |
Date
1841-1844, 1912
Artist/ Maker
Community
Location
Ukraine | L'vivs'ka obl. | Lviv
| 3 Vuhilna St.
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Category
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Material/Technique
Material Sdivucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Subgroup
Hallmark Identification
Hallmark Group Classification
Hallmark Reference
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Condition
Biography
Bibliography
Sergey R. Kravtsov, “Jewish Identities in Synagogue Architecture of Galicia and Bukovina,” Ars Judaica 6 (2010), pp. 87-88;
Rachel Manekin, “Hasidism and the Habsburg Empire, 1788–1867,” Jewish History 27 (2013): 271–97.
Unknown
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Photographer
Unknown
Photograph Date
1997
Negative/ Photo. No.
Documenter
|
Researcher
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Description

The synagogue was built by a rich Hasid Yakob Glanzer and was the first oficial Hasidic synagogue in Lviv (on its establishment see Manekin, “Hasidism and the Habsburg Empire, 1788–1867,” Jewish History 27 (2013): 288–90). In 1912, the building was reconstructed according to the design of Włodzimierz Podhorodecki.

The synagogue was closed by the Soviet authorities in 1962.

In 1990, the former synagogue was transferred to the Society for Jewish Culture and from 1993 it belongs to the religious community.

Remains of the wall paintings were discovered in 2011.