Obj. ID: 46434 Holocaust Memorial at the site of the synagogue in Dvůr Králové nad Labem, Czech Republic, 2008
Who is commemorated
The Jews of Dvůr Králové nad Labem who were deported and murdered in the Holocaust
The monument consists of a large, upright, Magen David made of concrete, with the word 'Remember' inscribed on it in Czech, Hebrew, and English. nearby, in front of the monument, is a stone plaque inscribed with a dedication and the significance of the spot in Czech and English.
The Magen David is inscribed with the word "Remember" in Czech, Hebrew and English :
On the plaque:
NA TOMTO MÍSTĚ STÁLA VE
DVOŘE KRÁLOVÉ NAD LABEM SYNAGOGA,
KTERÁ BYLA V ROCE 1890 VYSVĚCENA,
V OBDOBÍ HOLOKAUSTU OPUŠTĚNA
A NAKONEC V ROCE 1966 ZBOURÁNA.
NA UCTĚNÍ PAMÁTKY ŽIDOVSKÝCH
OBČANŮ MĚSTA DVŮR KRÁLOVÉ
NAD LABEM, KTEŘÍ BYLI DEPORTOVÁNÍ
A ZAVRAŽDĚNÍ NACISTICKÝM REŽIMEM
V OBDOBÍ HOLOKAUSTU 1939‒1945.
NECHŤ ODPOČÍVAJÍ V POKOJI
Here stood the Dvůr Králové
nad Labem synagogue dedicated
in 1890, abandoned
after the holocaust and finally
demolished in 1966
In memory of the Jewish citizens
of Dvůr Králové nad Labem
who were deported and murdered
by the Nazi regime during
the Holocaust years 1939 - 1945
May they rest in peace
The congregation of Temple Sholom of West Essex, 760 Pompton Avenue Cedar Grove, New Jersey, USA
Dvůr Králové municipality
| 17. listopadu Street and Roosevelt Street
The Jewish community of Dvur Kralove nad Labem is first recorded in the mid-19th century. The community's size peaked in 1910 when there were 332 Jews. The synagogue was built in 1890 and was used until World War II when it was vandalized and left in ruins. The Synagogue was demolished in 1966, and in its place, a small park and a memorial were installed.
The idea of building a monument first emerged in 2005 when Rabbi Norman and Naomi Patz (Temple Sholom of West Essex) visited Dvůr Králové nad Labem for the first time and met with then-mayor Jiří Rain. The congregation first learned about Dvůr Králové nad Labem when in 1975 they received on permanent loan a Torah scroll from the Memorial Scrolls Trust in London. The scroll originated from Dvůr Králové nad Labem.
The monument was consecrated on February 16, 2008, and was attended by members of the New Jersey Jewish community and a representative of the American Embassy in Prague, Mrs. Markéta Kolářová.
"Holocaust Memorial at the Site of former Synagogue / Památník na míste bývalé synagogy" Waymarking.com, https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMAR82_Holocaust_Memorial_at_the_Site_of_former_Synagogue_Pamtnk_na_mste_bval_synagogy_Dvur_Krlov_nad_Labem_Czech_republic (accessed January 24, 2023)
Kubizňáková, Sabina. Židovská náboženská obec ve Dvoře Králové nad Labem a její správa (1862‒1946) (BA thesis, Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2017), p. 39-40., https://is.muni.cz/th/m4b9s/dipl._1.71.pdf (accessed February 28, 2023)
Patz, Naomi (ed.). "Thus We Remember – The continuing story of our Holocaust Torah Scroll" (New Jersey: Temple Sholom of West Essex, 2015), https://images.shulcloud.com/14209/uploads/PDFs/Rabbi-Patz-PDFs/ThusWeRememberADDENDUM-COMPLETE.pdf (accessed February 28, 2023)