This is a rare example of a separate benediction sheet preserved without a scroll. The text is written within four arches standing on twisted columns and the whole composition is enframed by a floral decoration of a variety of flowers including tulips. In the center of the upper border, a crown is placed, and in the lower border, a cartouche with a Hebrew inscription can be seen (see "History/Provenance"). In the two first lunettes on the right, an enlarged, bolded, and decorative word ברוך is written that opens the benedictions. In the next two lunettes, the word קוראי written in the same style appears; it opens the liturgical poem "Korei Megillah". These large words are written separately from the rest of the texts.
The sheet is preserved in relatively good condition although paints are worn off in some places, especially green paint.
The parchment is crumpled.
A large brown stain on the left margin is visible.
The benedictions recited before and after the Megillah reading and the Purim liturgical poems "Arur Haman" and "Korei Megillah".
The text is inscribed in the Hebrew square Italian-Sephardi script.
The text contains a ligature of א and ל letters.
The Tetragrammaton is replaced by a composition of two letters י with an elongated and bent flag of ל letter and a leg of א letter.
It seems that originally the enlarged words and some details in the ornamentation were painted gold but currently they are rather green.
The benedictions inscribed on separate decorated sheets were typical for Jewish communities of the Apennine Peninsula; for their examples see "Related objects".
A similar sheet was produced in 1759/1760 for Menachem Mogligliano (BL6 - NS, Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary, New York).
The inscription by the owner (his name is not readable) fills the cartouche placed in the lower margin:
קנין כספי ר' [...] [...] יצ'ו בשנת הת'קט ליצירה
It bears the date - 5509 according to the Jewish calendar that is 1748 or 1749 in the Gregorian calendar.
Andreina Contessa, Mantova e Gerusalemme. Arte e cultura ebraica nella città dei Gonzaga, Firenze 2017, object 17.