Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 32617
Jewish Funerary Art
  Old Jewish cemetery in Tulcea, Romania

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Levin, Vladimir, 2019

The Old Jewish cemetery of Tulcea is situated on a slope at Gavrilov Corneliu St. It was apparently established in 1843, but a magnificent entrance to the cemetery was made in 2002, thanks to a support of Dr. Robert Sadoff from Philadelphia, USA. There are more than a hundred headstones in the cemetery, the majority from the second half of the nineteenth century. Among many Ashkenazi “vertical” tombstones, several Sephardi-type graves with horizontal slabs could be found.

At least three funerary monuments bear the signature of a tombstone maker in Galaţi, N. Renieris, whose works one can also see in Oltenița and Brăila, and another one bears the signature of V. Scutari. Galaţi is situated 80 km from Tulcea and it was an important center for the Jews of the region. The fact that tombstones were made there and brought to Tulcea testifies also to the absence of a specialist who could prepare a “modern”-looking stelae in Tulcea in the late nineteenth century.

In the center of the cemetery there is a mausoleum for Rabbi Yeshayahu son of Barukh Tzvi (Işuie ben Burach Ţvi in the local dialect of Yiddish). It is venerated not only by local Jews, but, according to the testimony of Mr. Solomon Faimblat, the President of the Jewish Community, by local Christians as well. The headstone of another Tulcea rabbi, Nahum Voliţer (d. 1898), stood in front of Rabbi Yeshayahu’s grave, but now its remnants are preserved at a shed near the entrance to the cemetery.

195 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Old Jewish cemetery in Tulcea | Unknown
Object Detail
Date
Synagogue active dates
closed 1900
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Origin
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community
Location
Romania | Dobruja | Tulcea județ | Tulcea
| Gavrilov Corneliu St.
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
Vladimir Levin | 2019
Researcher
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconsdivuction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
The Morris and Beverly Baker Foundation | 2019
Negative/Photo. No.