Obj. ID: 15734
Jewish Funerary Art Jewish cemetery in Komarno, Ukraine
According to ESJF European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative, the Jewish cemetery in Komarno already existed in 1644. It is not clear, whether this cemetery was the oldest, or there was an elder one. The Jewish cemetery on that site is marked on a cadastral map of 1853. It was vandalised during WWII and ruined in 1950s. After 1991 some gravestones from this cemetery were returned to the cemetery site. In the last 20 years, the ohel of Komarno Hasidic dynasty leaders was reconstructed. There is a caretaker opening the ohel and taking care of site around the ohel. Around 10 years ago around 50 more fragments of tombstones from this cemetery were found at the private household in the nearby Buchaly village. The cemetery is surrounded by an old metal fence, constructed by the Ohalei Tzadikim — Gader Avot union. No tombstones preserved. There are a some dozen fragments of broken tombstones in the bushes behind the ohel on the cemetery site. No dates are clearly seen.