Hebrew University Humanities   Home Page   CJA
       

 

OBJ
Torah Ark doors, Poland, Przemysl, 192 3 , Sc. 274 - 9 (inv. no.5299)

Category: Ritual object

 

 

Name/Title: Unknown
Object: Torah Ark doors
Artist/Maker: Unknown
Date: 1923
Period: Poland
Origin: Poland, Przemysl
Community: Poland, Przemysl
Collection: Sc. 274 - 9 (inv. no.5299)
Location: Not relevant
Site: Poland, Przemysl synagogue
School/Style: Eastern Europe
 

 

Subject
Not relevant                 Go to Subject Document

Ornamentation
Not relevant

Custom
Not relevant

Material & Technique
Silver, copper
Structure: cut, sawed
Decoration: sawed
Inscription: punched
Bonding: soldered, fastened by nails

Measurements
Height: 271 mm
Diameter: 480 mm

Hallmark
None

Decoration Program
Foliate scrolls emerging from two tulips and surrounding a dedicatory inscription.

Description
The double-winged door is a vertical rectangular tablet. It is adorned by foliate scrolls stemming from two tulips on either side, and rays radiating from the four corners. The decoration surrounds a rectangular central tablet with a Hebrew dedicatory inscription, engraved in filled square letters, that reads:

"ז"נ (זו נדבת)/ הר' (הרב) אהרן ניסבוים נ"י (נרו יאיר) עבור/ נשמת אמו רבקה ע"ה (עליה השלום) בת ר' דוב/ בערל ז"ל (זכרו לברכה) שנפטרה י"ז תשרי/ תרפ"ד ( 1923. 27.9 ) "

"This is the donation of the Rabbi Aaron Nissbaum, may his light shine, for the repose of the soul of his mother Rebecca, may she rest in peace, the daughter of Rabbi Dov Berl, of blessed memory, who died on the 17th of Tishrei, (5)684 (27.9.1923),"    

History/Provenance
The doors were purchased from Mr. S. Kotula from Rzeszow, on 3.8.1971, who claimed that they were originally from one of the synagogues of Przemysl. It is not known in which of the city's synagogues the doors were used. Nonetheless, our object's height indicates that they might not have been the doors themselves, but were probably attachments to larger wooden Ark doors, adjusted to its double wings.  
 
Condition
Intact

Remarks
Przemysl is a city in Rzeszow province in South Eastern Poland, situated by the San River. It was an important trade centre connecting the East with the West (Lvov and Krakow) and the North and South (Baltic Coast and Hungary). The city prospered as an important trade centre during the Renaissance period. Like nearby Lvov, the city's population consisted of a great number of nationalities, including Ukrainians, Poles, Germans, Czechs and Jews. The prosperity came to an end in the middle of the 17th century.  
Only one synagogue is still standing in the city: The Scheinbach synagogue built in 1910 (Located at J. Slowackiego street), is now a public library. The few other synagogues in the city were destroyed by the Nazis in September 1939, among them the wooden synagogue reconstructed in 1760 (fig 1), the Alte (Old) synagogue, and the Temple.  
It is still unclear to which of the Torah Arks within these synagogues the plaque was attached.

Bibliography
Gruber, Samuel and Myers, Phyllis. Survey of Historic Jewish Monuments in Poland, New York, 1995.

Type: Original  
Photographer: Date: Negative no.:
Zev Radovan 09.1990 441-13
 
Copyright
 
Object: Photograph:  
Sc.274 CJA  
 
Registrar
 
Function: Name: Date:
Documenter Gioia Perugia Sztulman 09.90
Researcher Ariella Amar 12.91
Section Head Ariella Amar 02.02
Editor Judith Cardozo 06.07
IJA No.: Not relevant  

 

Mount Scopus, Humanities Building, Jerusalem 91905, Israel
Tel.: (972-2) 5882281 |  Fax.: (972-2) 5400105
E-mail: cja@mail.huji.ac.il
      All rights reserved to The Hebrew University of Jerusalem©
Last Updated: 21 October, 2014
For comments: To Webmaster
Page Up