Rausing Trust of London
|The Choral Synagogue in Drohobych, 1842-1865|
With the help of the Rausing Trust of London, the Center was able to carry out an in depth study of the synagogues of Drohobych, Ukraine. The earliest record of Jews in Drohobych is 1404, just a decade after the first written record of the town itself. The buildings which the Center documented date from the 1840s on, and represent the last stage of evolution of the Drohobych community, from emancipation to annihilation. The Choral (Great) Synagogue pictured here, built between 1842-1865, was returned to the Jewish community in 1993 and is again being used as a synagogue.
Getty Grant Program
|Synagogue in Chechelnik, Ukraine, late 18th c.|
The Getty Grant Program has given a gift to the Center for Jewish Art to document the Jewish built heritage in the Ukraine. The three year gift, which is allowing the Center to document research and computerize forty synagogues in Ukraine, is a significant contribution to the Center's virtual preservation of one of the greatest Jewish communities in the Diaspora. The Great Synagogue of Chechel'nik was built in the second half of the eighteenth century.
|Batei Rand Synagogue, interior|
The Clore Foundation's generous grant allowed the Center to document synagogues in Jerusalem's Lev Ha'Ir neighborhood. This historic area, built in the late 1800s as a result of overcrowding in the Old City, reflects the diverse multi-cultural nature of Israeli society.