Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Object Alone

Obj. ID: 8398
Jewish Architecture
  Small Synagogue in Ozaryntsi, Ukraine

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Ukrzakhidprojectrestavratsiia, 1998

The building was a square, one-storied, simple freestanding structure, covered with a hipped roof.  It consisted of a rectangular prayer hall, with 11 windows and one door, a women’s section in the southwest corner and a small vestibule in the west corner.  The four facades of the building had a cornice.  All window and door openings were decorated by moulded frames, which were wider in their upper part.  The building probably had two entrances: one on the southeast side, directly leading to the prayer hall, another on the northwest side, leading to a small vestibule.  The vestibule had two doors, one to the prayer room, another to the women’s section.  The women’s section was connected to the prayer hall with three windows in the inner dividing wall.  In its outer walls it had five windows (one on the southeast wall, four on the southwest wall).  There were two heating stoves: one in the prayer hall, another in the wall dividing the prayer hall and the women’s section.

Summary and Remarks

9 image(s)

sub-set tree:

Name/Title
Small Synagogue in Ozaryntsi | Unknown
Object Detail
Monument Setting
Unknown
Date
1897
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Historical Origin
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period Detail
Collection
Unknown |
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Iconographical Subject
Unknown |
Textual Content
Unknown |
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Material Decoration
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Only foundation preserved
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance
On 27 March 1896 the Architectural Department of the province administration approved the conversion of the building, probably a private dwelling, into a synagogue. The synagogue was closed by the Soviet authorities in the 1920s–1930s, and the building was again used as a dwelling house. Probably, at that time, the entrance was made in the southwest wall. The building was still standing in the mid-1990s, but in 1998 only remnants of the foundation remained.
Main Surveys & Excavations
Sources
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
Vladimir Levin | 2000
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
Aliza Cohen Mushlin | 2000
Language Editor
Judy Cardozo, Sally Oren | 2000
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
The following information on this monument will be completed:
Unknown |