Obj. ID: 7900
Jewish Funerary Art Jewish Cemetery in Nadvirna (Nadwórna), Ukraine
The cemetery in Nadvirna was documented by the Center for Jewish Art at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1999 and again by the project Jewish Galicia and Bukovina in 2010.
See also the website of the Jewish Galicia and Bukovina (http://jgaliciabukovina.net/153301/cemetery/nadworna-cemetery).
According to ESJF European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative, the exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest gravestone relates to the first half of the 19th century, so it can be assumed that the cemetery already existed during that period. First, it appears on cadastral maps in 1847 and, later, in the 1880s, on an Austrian map.
The cemetery has a fence installed in November 2019 by ESJF. The southern part of the cemetery was built over with industrial buildings. There are about 400 gravestones.
Date of the oldest tombstone: 1826
Date of the latest tombstone: 1939