Obj. ID: 38213
Hebrew Illuminated Manuscripts BLM Hanging of Haman Esther Scroll, Jever (?), mid-18th century
The Hebrew text of the Book of Esther is written within hand-painted arches decorated with birds and animals, floral motifs and flowers, a view of a city, and a crown. The details on either side of the arches are drawn against a black background. The columns of text are separated with a repeating floral pattern with acanthus leaves. The only narrative scene in the scroll - the hanging of Haman (Es. 7:10) - is incorporated in the column containing a section listing the names of the ten sons of Haman (Es. 9:6-10). The upper margins are decorated with foliate and floral ornaments, while the lower margins are blank. Some details in the scroll are painted with tempera, while others are only pen-and-ink drawings.
A similar scroll is stored at the Klau Library, the Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati (scroll no. 55 (V.8)) available on https://huc.on.worldcat.org/oclc/1015672768 (accessed on 28.06.2021).
| Jever (?)
L | Lion
O | Ornamentation: | Foliate and floral ornaments | Floral motif
O | Ornamentation: | Ornament
A | Animals and Beasts
O | Ornamentation: | Foliate and floral ornaments
O | Ornamentation: | Architectural frame
C | City
C | Crown
In general, the manuscript is well preserved, although its opening section is rather damaged and visibly darker; it is stained too.
The Book of Esther in Hebrew with initial benedictions, and a liturgical poem "Asher Heni".
The scroll is formed of 5 membranes containing 14 columns of the text with 21, 22, 24, or 25 lines each, except for the col. 12 including Haman's sons section which is written in 11 lines divided into two half-columns.
The scroll opens with an additional column containing three initial benedictions and ends with a column containing the liturgical poem.
The text is written in Hebrew square Ashkenazi stam script with tagin in dark brown (almost black ink) on the flesh side of parchment sheets.
The letters forming the Tetragrammaton (cols. 2, 7, and 9) and ת (Es. 9:29) are enlarged and bolded. Other enlarged and diminished letters are included in col. 12. Their components are additionally decorated with tiny dots.
The letter ח (Es. 1:6) is larger and decorated with scrolled feet.
The ruling is made with a hardpoint along with the membranes.
The pricking is visible on the membranes' edges.
The membranes in the scroll are stitched together.
Each benediction starts with a large and bolded word ברוך - "blessed", colored red, black, or green.
They include ligatures of א and ל letters.
Until the end of the 1950s owned by the Jever Jewish community, later in the collection of Dr. Zvi Asaria. In 1984 acquired by the BLM.
Jüdisches Kulturgerät. Eine Auswahl aus den Sammlungen, Braunschweig 1984, p. 22 (Veröffentlichungen des Braunschweigischen Landesmuseums 40).
Stadt im Wandel. Kunst und Kultur des Bürgertums in Norddeutschland 1150–1650, Austellungkatalog, vol. 1, Braunschweig 1985, p. 514.