Obj. ID: 15799
Jewish Funerary Art New Jewish cemetery in Vyzhnytsia, Ukraine
The cemetery in Vyzhnytsia was documented by the Center for Jewish Art at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1994 and again by the project Jewish Galicia and Bukovina in 2016. According to the later, the oldest preserved tombstone is dated 1863, and the latest one - 1940.
Temporary remark by V. Levin (July 2019): not all photos in this set are ideed from Vyzhnytsia, an additional check is needed (some are from Kuty and other cemeteries in the region).
See also the website of the Project Jewish history in Galicia and Bukovina (http://jgaliciabukovina.net/174377/cemetery/vyzhnitsa-jewish-cemetery)
According to ESJF European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative, the Jewish Cemetery in Vyzhnytsya was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the 1860s. It was marked on a map of the 1880s. The cemetery is still operating. The street side is partly fenced by a metal mesh fence. There are about 1,000 gravestones.
Date of the oldest tombstone: 1866
Date of the latest tombstone: 2004