The wooden fragment of the Holy Ark is in the shape of an architectural facade where two columns that support an architrave, frame the Tablets of the Covenant in the center. The tablets are inscribed with the beggining of the ten comandments, five on each side. Above the comandments on both tablets, there is an inscription in one line of square letters which read:
"משנת תקכ"א לפק)לפרט קטן("
"From the year (5)521(1761)"
Beneath the commandment are protruding rectangular panels enclosing foliate scrolls. Each tablet is framed by an arche decorated with foliate scrolls. The same pattern decorats the external columns. Below the architrave there is a dedicatory inscription. In one line of square letters it is read:
"זנ)זאת נדבת( דוב בן עזראל עם בנו יעקב"
"This is the donation of Dov son of Azreel with his son Jacob"
This object is a fragment of the upper part decoration of an Holy Ark which has more than double height as one can see in the old picture.
MAT : Wood##Structure: cut, carved##Decoration: carved openwork, painted in brown-red, blue-green, mustard-yellow on dark brown background##Bonding: nailed, glue?##Inscription: carved
MDE : 9cm
MW : 111cm