Obj. ID: 1356
Jewish Architecture Old Synagogue in Pińczów - Vestibule
To the main object: Old Synagogue in Pińczów, Poland
The small vestibule (7 m x 2.5 m) is covered by cross vault ceiling. The vault and the lunettes were decorated with foliate patterns dotted with animals, as well as Jewish symbols, textual plaques, and medallions with inscriptions. The textual plaques on the walls were partially preserved. The main portal to the prayer hall is decorated by architectural ornamentation and dedicatory inscriptions. The murals (in bad condition before the restoration) seem monochrome. They are predominately black, ocher, and burgundy on a gray background.
The murals of the vestibule were made in two stages according to the inscriptions. The first stage is dated to 1696 and the second stage from 1736 to 1742. The painter Joseph son of Eliezer created the second stage of the decoration. The inscriptions are preserved in fragments.
For the inscriptions see: