On the eastern wall above the niche of the Torah ark are two layers of partially preserved murals. Both layers of murals are preserved in fragments. The bottom layer, which is also the older of the murals, presents the tablets of the covenant surrounded with painted architectural and floral decor. Under the tablets of covenant is a large fragment of Renaissance floral ornamentation. The murals once included an ovular medallion, which was not preserved, with the name of the painter and the date of creation. The date of the painting that specified in other text, 1677, does not match the generally accepted date of construction of the synagogue, which is after 1758.
The top layer of the painting is distinguished from the older layer by the overlapping plaster. It contains figures of two griffins that flank the image of the Leviathan whose act of biting its own tail frames the round window it circles around. The inner frame of the round window is decorated the theme of the starry sky. This part of the painting probably made in the early 20th century.
The inscription above the window reads:
דע לפני מי אתה עומד לפני מלך מלכי המלכים הקדוש ברוך הוא
(Know before whom you stand [Talmud, Brachot 28b]).
The inscription above the griffins reads:
סמוט [=סור מי רע ועשה טוב]
אטלס [=אך טוב לישראל סלה]