Home
    Under Reconstruction!
Art Alone

Img. ID: 4427

© Center for Jewish Art, Photographer: Radovan, Zev, 1991

The Kiddush cup is cylindrical and tapers at the bottom. It is decorated with a wide band containing three oval medallions which are surrounded by an undulating foliate branch. Each medallion contains one of the following: the Western Wall; the Cave of  Machpelah; the Tomb of the Kings of the Dynasty of David (read clockwise). The title of each place is inscribed above them in the appropriate medallion.

The central band is surmounted by a band that bears a dedicatory inscription is square filled letters circumfering the top of the cup, it reads:

מנחת ד'ג' מעה"ק צפת ו' להכלה שיינדיל בת ר' יוסף אליעזר ניסבוים ממני שיינדיל בת ר' זכריה זאב

Translation: An offering from the holy city of Safed, to the bride Sheindl daughter of R. Yosef Eliezer Nisboim, from me Sheindi daughter of R. Zecharia Zeev. 

A second inscription circumfering the bottom of the cup reads:

מכסף הדלקת הרשב"י זי"ע

Translation: From the money of the lightning for Rabbi Shimeon Bar Yohay, his memory protect us.

Name/Title
Kiddush cup from Safed | Unknown
Object
Object Detail
Settings
Unknown
Date
late 19th-early 20th century
Synagogue active dates
Reconstruction dates
Artist/ Maker
Unknown (Unknown)
Historical Origin
Unknown
Community type
Congregation
Unknown
Location
Unknown |
Site
Unknown
School/Style
Unknown|
Period
Unknown
Period Detail
Collection
Documentation / Research project
Unknown
Material/Technique
Material Stucture
Spinning
Material Decoration
Engraving
Material Bonding
Material Inscription
Engraving
Material Additions
Material Cloth
Material Lining
Tesserae Arrangement
Density
Colors
Construction material
Measurements
Height
Length
Width
Depth
Circumference
Thickness
Diameter
61 mm (overall), 42 mm (base)
Weight
Axis
Panel Measurements
Condition
Extant
Documented by CJA
Surveyed by CJA
Present Usage
Present Usage Details
Condition of Building Fabric
Architectural Significance type
Historical significance: Event/Period
Historical significance: Collective Memory/Folklore
Historical significance: Person
Architectural Significance: Style
Architectural Significance: Artistic Decoration
Urban significance
Significance Rating
Languages of inscription
Unknown
Type of grave
Unknown
0
Ornamentation
Custom
Contents
Codicology
Scribes
Script
Number of Lines
Ruling
Pricking
Quires
Catchwords
Hebrew Numeration
Blank Leaves
Direction/Location
Façade (main)
Endivances
Location of Torah Ark
Location of Apse
Location of Niche
Location of Reader's Desk
Location of Platform
Temp: Architecture Axis
Arrangement of Seats
Location of Women's Section
Direction Prayer
Direction Toward Jerusalem
Coin
Coin Series
Coin Ruler
Coin Year
Denomination
Signature
Colophon
Scribal Notes
Watermark
Hallmark
The cypher 13 surrounded by a square frame.
This was the quality mark used in Poland by the Austrian empire in 1859.
Cf. Tardy, p. 28.
Group
Group
Group
Group
Group
Trade Mark
Binding
Decoration Program
Summary and Remarks
Suggested Reconsdivuction
History/Provenance

According to William Gross, the so-called "Zfat Cups" were mostly brought without decoration from Europe, as indicated by the silver hallmarks, and were engraved in Eretz Israel with vignettes of Holy sites. The common knowledge is that such cups were fashioned in the city of Safed and hence their common name. The earliest dated cup is from 1881, so it is probable that they were made in the last quarter of the 19th century and the first quarter of the 20th. A number of existing examples have personal dedications, but it seems that they were purchased as souvenirs of the Holy Land as well.

Most of these cups, of the later types, carry an almost identical design, while earlier examples showed more original variation. The objects of the later type are quite a standard form. The Holy sites depicted here are the Kotel, the Holy city of Safed, and Mount Zion in Jerusalem. 

Main Surveys & Excavations
Bibliography
Short Name
Full Name
Volume
Page
Type
Documenter
|
Author of description
|
Architectural Drawings
|
Computer Reconstruction
|
Section Head
|
Language Editor
|
Donor
|
Negative/Photo. No.
042085