A concentration camp close to village Tenja was created by Croatian Ustaše in April 1941 and built by the Jewish community of Osijek, intended as a small settlement for Jews. However, about 3,000 Jewish inmates of the camp were deported to Auschwitz, Jasenovac, and other death camps in August 1942, and the camp was closed.
An original granite obelisk was erected in the place of the camp in Yugoslav times and its inscription spoke about “people of this region.” In 2004, the Jewish community of Osijek added a marble plaque that explicitly mentioned Jews. It was inaugurated on Israeli Holocaust Day, April 18, 2004. In 2016, the municipality of Osijek renovated the monument: a new white marble obelisk of the same dimensions as the original one was set up and both Yugoslav and Jewish inscriptions were reproduced, with the addition mentioning the municipality’s contribution.