Img. ID: 124667
The brass free-standing back-walled Hanukah lamp consists of eight oil containers, a parapet, back, and sidewalls.
Eight triangular spouted oil containers are fastened to the back wall and enclosed behind a rectangular parapet, which consists of seven oval openings in diamond-shaped frames. There are circles in between the ovals. The parapet is connected to the side walls by figures of two birds.
The back wall resembles a facade of a building. In the center of the wall, there is an arched door flanked by two pilasters and by two arched windows, which are slightly higher than the door. The back wall bears a brick design. There is an oval window above the door. The pilasters “support” a balcony decorated by two rows of holes. The balcony is surmounted by an arcade of eight horseshoe arches (two central arches are united), which supports a lean-to roof. The roof has a wavy rim and two “chimneys” on top.
The roof is surmounted by two birds facing outwards (their heads are missing), connected to two birds facing in and forming a heart shape with their heads. The heart is topped by a palmetto.
The sidewalls of the lamp consist, each, of a rampant lion climbing on a tree and facing outward while holding with its tale a vase-shaped candle socket with a saucer.
For similar or identical Hanukkah lamps see CJA objects 27803, 23542, 18830, 18829, 13623, 4354, 2832, 2418, 2245, 2105, 1855, 1854, 1062.
| Inv. 9258
H | Heraldic composition | Supporters | Two birds
H | Heraldic composition | Supporters | Two lions
Steiglitz, no. 154.
Narkiss, Mordechai, Menorat ha-hanukah (Jerusalem, 1939),p. 41 and plate XXXI, no. 88.
Israel Museum, Hanukkah Lamp (1978), pl. 3.